LOVE life Carrot cake bites
Silvana Franco shows you how to make these tasty carrot cake bites – they're lower in calories than you might think.
Recipe - Makes: 20
275g Duchy Originals from Waitrose organic brown self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground mixed spice
100g dark muscovado sugar
250g finely grated carrots
125ml Waitrose Leckford Estate cold pressed rapeseed oil
2 large Waitrose free range British Blacktail eggs, beaten
Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
100g essential Waitrose lighter soft cheese
1-2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line a deep, 20cm square, non-stick cake tin with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spice, sugar, carrots and sultanas. Make a well in the centre and add the oil, eggs and orange juice. Mix until well blended. Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and cooked through.
3. Lift the cake onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
4. Beat together the soft cheese, most of the orange zest and syrup (reserving a little zest for garnish).
5. Spread the cream-cheese frosting on top of the cake, sprinkle over the remaining zest to decorate, then cut into squares to serve.
Typical values per serving: