Organic Kitchen: The Happy Pear's Vegan Gluten Free and Dairy Free Celeriac Lasagne with Basil Cashew Cream
Dave and Steve show you how to make a delicious organic vegan lasagne, with celeriac layers and plenty of veg.
Recipe - Serves: 6 - 8
1 celeriac (approximately 1kg)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium Waitrose Duchy Organic Sweet Potato
FOR THE CASHEW CREAM
200g Waitrose Duchy Organic Cashew Nuts
Juice of 1 lime
100ml organic vegetable stock
150ml olive oil
2 x 25g packs basil
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium Waitrose Duchy Organic Onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves Waitrose Duchy Organic Garlic, chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
200g Waitrose Duchy Organic Mushrooms, finely sliced
1 bay leaf
1 Waitrose Duchy Organic Courgette, halved and sliced
100ml organic red wine
2 x 400g cans Waitrose Duchy Organic Chopped Tomatoes
5 Cooks’ Ingredients Sundried Tomatoes (not in oil), chopped
1½ tbsp Waitrose Duchy Organic Canadian Maple Syrup
100g Waitrose Duchy Organic Tomato Purée
1. Prepare the cream by soaking the cashews in 300ml water for
30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
2. Meanwhile, peel the celeriac and slice into strips that resemble sheets of lasagne (approximately 0.5cm thick). Put onto 2 baking trays, then drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and season.
3. Scrub the sweet potato, leaving the skin on, then slice into bitesize pieces. Place on another baking tray, drizzle over the remaining 1 tbsp oil and season. Bake the celeriac and sweet potato in the oven for 25 minutes or until soft.
4. To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan on a high heat, then add the onion, garlic and chilli and fry for 4 minutes, stirring regularly until the garlic starts to become golden and the onion transparent. Add the mushrooms, bay leaf and courgette; continue to fry for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the red wine and allow to reduce for 2 minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes together with the sundried tomatoes, maple syrup, tomato purée and seasoning. Add the cooked sweet potatoes and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. To make the cashew cream, drain and rinse the soaked cashews. Add the remaining cream ingredients (including the basil stalks) to a blender or food processor, season and blend
until really smooth.
6. Now assemble the lasagne. Cover the base of a 30x20x7cm deep ovenproof serving dish with half the cashew cream. Next add half the celeriac and pour over all the tomato sauce. Top with the remaining celeriac and finish with the remaining cashew cream. Bake for 15 minutes until the cashew cream starts to set.
Typical values per serving:
per serving (for 8)