Countdown to Christmas - Heston's Party flatbreads
Watch Heston make his delicious flatbreads, which are fantastic for a festive party. The shrimp and smoked salmon topping makes them really special.
Recipe - Makes: 20 large flatbreads
For the pre-fermented dough:
150g Waitrose Super Fine 00 Grade Pasta Flour
¼ tsp malt extract (optional)
3.5g (½ sachet) fast-action bread yeast
½ tsp table salt
For the flatbreads:
350g Waitrose Super Fine 00 Grade Pasta Flour
½ tsp malt extract (optional)
7g (1 sachet) fast-action bread yeast
1 tsp table salt
Pre-fermented dough (see recipe above)
1. To make the pre-fermented dough, tip the flour into a food mixer. Using the dough hook, begin to mix on the lowest speed. Stir the malt extract into 85g cold water, then pour the liquid into the flour. Mix for 3 minutes, then stop and leave it to rest in the bowl for 1 hour.
2. Add the yeast and salt and mix on medium speed for 7 minutes.
3. Transfer the dough to a large, clean mixing bowl and cover tightly with clingfilm to prevent a skin forming on the surface. Place in the fridge and leave to ferment for 12 hours.
4. For the flatbreads, tip the flour into the bowl of a food mixer. Using the dough hook, begin to mix on low speed. Stir the malt extract into 195g cold water, then pour the liquid into the flour. Mix for 4 minutes, then leave it to rest in the bowl for 1 hour
5. Add the yeast and salt and mix on medium speed for 4 minutes. Stop, add the pre-fermented dough and again mix for 4 minutes on medium speed. Remove the dough (it should pull away cleanly from the sides of the bowl) and divide it into 20 even-sized balls. Set aside.
6. Position the highest rack in the oven 2 settings from the top. Place a pizza stone or sturdy baking tray on the rack and set the oven to its highest setting — ideally around 300ºC. Preheat for 30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, roll each ball of dough into a rough, 3mm-thick rectangle then trim into a neat 25x10cm rectangle. Prick over the entire surface using a fork.
8. Transfer a flatbread onto the pizza stone and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Turn the flatbread over and cook for a further 20 seconds. Remove and place on a cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.
Typical values per serving:
3.8g protein, 0.8g fibre