Perfect Tomato sauce
Silvana Franco makes the perfect classic tomato sauce.
- 2kg fresh tomatoes or 3 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, bashed to split the skins
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs basil
- 1–2 tsp soft brown sugar
- If using fresh tomatoes, chop them roughly and simmer for 20 minutes; liquidise and sieve. Return to the pan with the other ingredients except the basil and sugar.
- If using tinned tomatoes, put everything but the basil and sugar in a pan. Break up the tomatoes with your hands.
- Either way, bring the pan to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Thirty minutes into cooking, add the basil. Taste the sauce; if it is tart, add 1–2 tsp sugar. Season and continue cooking until the sauce is thick. Remove the basil and garlic. Cool, then store in the fridge.
Typical values per serving: