Scotch egg pie
Watch our recipe for Scotch egg pie - this simple but delicious pie makes the perfect picnic centrepiece.
Recipe - Serves: 6
7 essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs
450g Waitrose Gourmet Pork Sausagemeat
6 sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
6 salad onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp essential Waitrose Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
25g pack flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 x 215g frozen Cooks’ Ingredients All Butter Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard Plain flour, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Cook 6 of the eggs in a pan of boiling water for 6–8 minutes, depending on the size of the egg. Cool and shell.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the sausagemeat, sundried tomatoes, salad onions, Parmigiano Reggiano and parsley until well blended.
3. Open out one sheet of the pastry and place on a baking sheet. Spread with Dijon mustard then smooth a third of the sausage mixture over the pastry, leaving a 1cm border around the edges. Place the peeled eggs, evenly spaced, on the sausagemeat then cover with the remaining mixture to enclose them.
4. Roll out the second sheet of pastry on a floured surface to make it a little larger. Beat the remaining egg and brush along the borders of the pastry, then lay the second sheet of pastry over the filling. Use a fork to press the borders together firmly to seal into a neat rectangular pie, trimming the edges if necessary.
5. Brush the pie with beaten egg and bake for 40 minutes until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
If you have time, chill the pie for up to several hours before baking.
Typical values per serving: