Save to your scrapbook
Angellica Bell's chicken quesadillas
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
"This Mexican-style meal is great for a light snack, or even dinner, when you could add some spicy rice to make it more substantial. Now, don’t be put off by the chilli as you can make this as spicy as you like or even leave the chilli out altogether – you’re the chef! I think this meal has lots of flavour but at the same time doesn’t require too much work. All I ask is that you take care by the stove. Just take your time and lower the heat if you need to." - Angellica Bell
Serves: 4 as a snack
500g (1lb 2oz) skinless chicken breast fillets
3 tablespoons chicken fry mix (most supermarkets will stock this)
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried cumin
½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
1 red (bell) pepper
4–5 spring onions (scallions)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
20g (1 ½ tablespoons) butter
4 flour tortillas
250g (8 ¾ oz) Cheddar cheese
salt and black pepper
1. Chop your chicken into small chunks or strips. Place the chopped chicken in a large bowl and add the chicken fry mix, oregano, cumin and chilli (if you can handle a bit of spice), with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon until the chicken is coated.
2. Cut the red pepper in half, remove the white membrane and seeds and cut it into small pieces or slices. Trim the tops and bottoms off the spring onions and cut them into small slices.
3. Place a big frying pan on the stove over a low heat and add the oil. If the heat is too high, the oil may splutter and can seriously burn, so just take your time. Add the chicken to the pan and fry for a few minutes, stirring the chicken with a wooden spoon so it cooks evenly. After a few minutes, add the diced or sliced pepper and then a few minutes later the spring onions. Keep frying until the chicken is cooked through and browned slightly (cut a piece open; it should be white all the way through), then turn off the heat.
4. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4 and pop a piece of foil on a large baking tray (or use 2 trays). Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave, or in a small saucepan over a low heat. Grab a tortilla. Using a pastry brush, brush one side of the tortilla with butter and place the buttered side down on the baking tray. Repeat with another tortilla and place it next to the first one (or on another tray).
5. Spoon the chicken mixture evenly onto both tortillas. Grate the cheese using a box grater, then sprinkle this over the top of the chicken mixture. Place another tortilla on top of each and brush the tops with more melted butter.
6. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until the tortillas are crispy and golden. Remove from the oven and let them cool a little before cutting into wedges. Serve with sour cream, guacamole and tomato salsa.
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 07 16:36:10 GMT 2019.