Savour the flavours of a British autumn with delicious tree fruits and berries, nuts and spices in this family-sized dessert. It makes a great addition to the Sunday dinner table.
Apple & pear strudel
- Preparation time: 15 mins + cooling
- Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
50g butter, melted
100g golden caster sugar
2 British apples, for example Braeburn, peeled and diced
2 British pears, for example Green Williams, peeled and diced
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
50g pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
75g Love Life Dried Cranberries
4 sheets of filo pastry, about 200g
Icing sugar, to serve
1. Place 1–2 tsp of the melted butter in a saucepan, add the sugar and cook for a few minutes, stirring until starting to turn golden. Add the fruit, spices, nuts and cranberries and cook for 10 minutes until tender. Turn off the heat and leave to cool completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Lightly brush the sheets of filo pastry with melted butter and lay on top of each other to give a 48cm x 26cm rectangle. Spoon the fruit mixture along the short side. Fold in the edges then roll to enclose the filling.
3. Carefully transfer the strudel to a large, non-stick baking sheet. Brush with a little more butter and bake for 25–30 minutes until golden and piping hot. Cut into 6 slices and serve with a dusting of icing sugar.