"If apple pie is quintessentially American, then apple cake is just as Swedish. This one is made with a little rye flour and has warming spice notes, while the cider syrup makes it sticky, sweet and moist." Ravinder Bhogal
Apple and rye cake with cider syrup
200ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
100g rye flour
100g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 orange, zest
1 tsp ground cinnamon
8 cardamom pods, shelled and seeds ground
200g light brown soft sugar
3 large eggs
3 large cox apples, peeled, cored and sliced into half moons
200ml crème fraîche
1 x ½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
350ml dry cider
150ml golden syrup
50g unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm springform tin with oil; line the base with baking parchment. In a bowl, mix the fl ours, baking powder, orange zest, spices and a pinch of salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar, then beat in the eggs one by one. Stir in two-thirds of the apples, then gently fold in the fl our mixture. Pour into the tin; arrange the rest of the apples on top, pushing them down a little.
3. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 55-60 minutes; cover the tin with foil if the cake looks like it’s browning too much. Check it’s ready by inserting a skewer into the centre - it should come out clean.
4. Twenty minutes before the cake is done, make the syrup. Put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil, whisking. Boil for 15 minutes until syrupy. Drizzle 6 tbsp syrup over the cake when it comes out of the oven, brushing it onto the apples to glaze. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Return the remaining syrup to the heat; bubble for 10 minutes to thicken.
5. To serve, mix together the crème fraîche and vanilla seeds. Gently reheat the syrup; add a little boiling water if it looks too thick. Serve the cake with the warm syrup and vanilla crème fraîche.
This pudding combines fruity sweetness and spice, making it absolutely perfect with a brilliantly luscious dessert wine. Campbells Rutherglen Muscat, Victoria, Australia.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 70 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 24 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Jan 25 11:45:00 GMT 2012.