Mix these best of British ingredients for a comforting midweek supper
Baked leeks with bacon crumble
300ml essential Waitrose Double Cream
Freshly grated nutmeg
100g essential Waitrose Unsmoked British Bacon Streaky Rashers, finely chopped
75g plain wheat flour or spelt flour
50g Waitrose Duchy Organic Jumbo Rolled Oats
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Trim the leeks (there’s no need to remove all the green parts), and cut into chunky pieces. Scatter in a shallow ovenproof dish, pour the cream on top and sprinkle with 4 tbsps of water. Season with plenty of nutmeg and a little salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a dry frying pan and fry the bacon for 4-5 minutes until golden. Put the flour in a bowl and add the butter, cut into small pieces. Rub in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add to the bacon with the oats and rosemary and stir to mix.
3. Scatter the crumble over the leeks and return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 20–25 minutes until pale golden.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hours
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Tue Oct 18 16:14:01 BST 2016.