Tender strips of chicken breast are baked in crisp, herby breadcrumbs and served with a creamy, low fat honey and mustard sauce.
Baked Buttermilk Chicken with a Herb Crust
- 75g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Breadcrumbs
- 20g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 15g pack fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 284ml pot St Ivel Cultured Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp Waitrose Wholegrain Mustard
- 4 chicken breast fillets, each cut into 3 long strips
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Line a large ovenproof dish with baking parchment.
- In a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs with the herbs. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the buttermilk, honey and mustard.
- Transfer 6 tablespoons of the buttermilk mixture to another bowl and add the chicken strips, turning to coat. Dip each piece of chicken in the breadcrumbs and place on the baking parchment. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn over and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, there is no pink meat and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little of the remaining buttermilk mixture. Place the rest of the mixture in a small pan and heat gently. Whisk in the cornflour paste, stirring until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Serve 3 pieces of chicken per person with the sauce, sweet potato mash and green vegetables.
Flavour the breadcrumbs with different herbs and spices, such as paprika or thyme.
A rich and ripe Burgundy from France with its buttered-toast character, is a perfect complement to this dish.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 57 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Feb 01 00:00:00 GMT 2008.