A nutty wholegrain accompaniament for salmon.
Basmati pilau and seared salmon
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 180g Waitrose brown basmati and wild rice
- 60g dried apricots, chopped
- 900ml chicken stock, hot
- 45g Waitrose pecans, coarsely chopped
- 45g Waitrose mixed seeds
- 4 salmon fillets
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Over a medium-low heat, warm 2 tsp oil in a pan; sauté the onion for 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander and stir for 1 minute.
- Rinse the rice and add to the pan with the apricots and stock; stir. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, cover and cook for 20–25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm a frying pan over a medium heat and dry-fry the nuts and seeds for 2 minutes, until they are just fragrant.
- A few minutes before the rice is done, warm 1 tsp oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season the fi sh and fry for 3 minutes skin-side down, then for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Stir the nuts, seeds and parsley into the pilau. Serve with the salmon on top and lemon wedges.