This glorious tart balances juicy berries, rich cream and crisp almond pastry in delicious harmony.
Blackberry and vanilla gallette
450g essential Waitrose blackberries
1 tsp cornflour
3-5 tbsp caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra for scattering
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 essential Waitrose egg, beaten, for glazing
3 tbsp essential Waitrose soured cream
FOR THE PASTRY
75g ground almonds
150g essential Waitrose plain flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp caster sugar
110g essential Waitrose unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1. For the pastry, whizz the almonds, flour, cinnamon, sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor, until combined. Pulse in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Whizz in 2 tbsp iced water until it comes together into a ball. Tip onto the work surface, shape into a disc with floured hands and wrap in cling fi lm. Chill for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4; put a large flat baking sheet into the oven to heat up. Toss the blackberries with the cornflour, sugar, lemon juice, ½ tsp vanilla bean paste and a pinch of salt (add more sugar to taste, if liked).
3. Roll the pastry out between 2 sheets of baking parchment to a 30cm circle, 0.3cm thick. Lift off the top sheet and pile the fruit in the middle of the pastry, leaving a 5cm border. Bring the pastry edges up around the fruit, leaving a gap in the middle. Brush the pastry rim with egg and scatter over the 1 tbsp sugar.
4. Slide the galette, on its parchment, onto the hot baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the fruit is jammy. Take out of the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Mix the cream and remaining ½ tsp vanilla, and dollop over to serve.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus chilling and cooling
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes, plus chilling and cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 5 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Aug 24 15:21:00 BST 2017.