Linzer torte is a traditional Austrian bake, where the pastry is flavoured with toasted nuts and baked around a filling of jam. Juicy blueberries make a delicious addition in our version
Blueberry & hazelnut torte
85g Waitrose Blanched Hazelnuts
100g golden caster sugar
175g unsalted butter, softened
1 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolk
½ tsp vanilla extract
225g plain flour, plus a little extra for dusting
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Zest 1 small orange and 1 tsp juice
5 tbsp essential Waitrose Blackcurrant Jam
300g fresh blueberries
1 tsp cornflour
Icing sugar and crème fraîche, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Spread the nuts out on a baking sheet and roast for 8–10 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool completely.
2. Put the nuts into a food processor with 1 tbsp of the sugar, then pulse until finely ground. Tip out and set aside. Whizz the remaining sugar, butter, egg yolk and vanilla until creamy. Add the nuts, flour, cinnamon and orange zest and pulse to make a ball of dough. Split the dough into one-third and two-thirds, press each into a disc, then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes or until just firm.
3. Roll each pastry disc between 2 sheets of clingfilm. Use the larger one to line a 23cm fluted tart tin, making a lip of about 2.5cm up the sides. Spread the jam across the pastry. Mix the blueberries, orange juice and cornflour then tip them on top in an even layer. Stamp out 5cm rounds from the smaller disc using a fluted cutter, then use a very small cutter to remove the centre from each. Arrange the pastry rings over the fruit, overlapping them slightly, then bake for 35 minutes, until the pastry is golden and the berries saucy.
4. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar and serve in slices with crème fraîche.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes + cooling and chilling
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes, plus cooling and chilling
Serves: 8 - 10
Typical values per serving:
including 30g crème fraîche per serving
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Wed Mar 02 10:56:00 GMT 2016.