A really simple and satisfying Italian dish. Everything is cooked in one pan, which helps to keep the chicken tender, succulent and full of flavour.
Braised Chicken with Olives and Tomatoes
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves removed from the stalk and finely chopped
- 12 Waitrose British Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g pack baby new potatoes
- 300ml dry white wine
- 2 red onions, cut into eighths
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 pack Waitrose English Classic Vine Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200g pack Waitrose Paterno & Toscanelle Olives, from the prepacked deli counter, drained
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients Toasted Pine Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Take a large freezer bag and add the flour, rosemary and seasoning. Place the chicken, a couple of pieces at a time, in the bag and toss well to coat evenly with flour.
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof roasting tin on the hob and fry the chicken on all sides for about 10 minutes until golden. Add the new potatoes and toss well in the oil, then pour in the wine and cook rapidly for 2-3 minutes to reduce the liquid slightly.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and olives to the tin and season. Stir everything to combine then cover with foil. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and there is no pink meat. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately, with a crisp green salad and crusty bread.