Tea is the quintessential British drink to serve with cake. Try Teapigs Darjeeling Earl Grey - its floral, citrus notes balance the cake's sweetness.
Brilliantly British apple and walnut cakes
250g essential Waitrose Self-raising Flour
100g butter, at room temperature, diced
Pack of 4 Best of British Apples, coarsely grated
75g walnuts, coarsely chopped
125g light brown muscovado sugar
1 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg
½ tsp Cooks’ Homebaking Vanilla Extract
100ml essential Waitrose semi-skimmed milk
100g essential Waitrose soft cheese
100g icing sugar, sifted
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp Cooks’ Homebaking Crystallised Sprinkling Stem Ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC, gas mark 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Place the flour in a large bowl then, using your fingertips, rub 50g of the butter into the flour until it’s well blended. Stir in the grated apples, walnuts and brown sugar.
2. Beat together the egg, vanilla and milk then stir into the apple mixture. Divide between the paper cases and bake for 20–25 minutes until firm and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
3. Beat together the remaining butter and soft cheese until smooth, then mix in the icing sugar and cinnamon. Spoon over the top of the cooled cakes and sprinkle with crystallised ginger.
For a firmer frosting, chill the icing before spreading onto the cakes.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: cook 20–25 mins
- Total time: 45 mins plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
4.4g protein, 1.5g fibre
Average user rating Based on 10 ratings