A food processor with a ne-slicing blade makes quick work of the sprouts in this wintry twist on a summer favourite.
Brussels Caesar salad with lardons and croutons
100g crusty bread or ciabatta, torn into bite sized pieces
2 tbsp essential Waitrose olive oil
330g bag trimmed brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
3 tbsp lemon juice
200g pack smoked British bacon lardons
1 garlic clove, left whole
1 tsp essential Waitrose
white wine vinegar
4 tbsp essential Waitrose Greek-style yogurt
4 tbsp essential Waitrose mayonnaise
5 splashes worcestershire sauce
25g essential Waitrose Parmigiano Reggiano, finely grated, plus extra shavings to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Toss the bread with the oil, season and bake for 10-15 minutes, until crisp and golden; set aside. Meanwhile, put the sliced sprouts in a large bowl, season and toss with 2 tbsp lemon juice.
2. Put the lardons into a cold frying pan, then turn up the heat until the fat starts to melt. Cook for 5 minutes, add the garlic, then cook for 5 minutes more, until the lardons are golden and the garlic is soft. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the lardons and garlic into the bowl with the sliced sprouts.
3. Discard all but 1 tbsp of the fat from the pan and let it cool for a moment. Crush the garlic in the pan, whisk in the remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice and the vinegar, then stir in the yogurt, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce and parmesan; season.
4. Add most of the croutons and dressing to the sprouts and lardons; toss to coat. Put the salad on a platter and top with the rest of the croutons, dressing and shaved parmesan.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 - 4
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings