Save to your scrapbook
Carrot oatmeal cookies
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
by Martha Collison
120g butter, softened
100g light brown soft sugar
50g caster sugar
1 British Blacktail Medium Free Range Egg
125g plain flour
125g rolled oats
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g carrots, peeled
50g walnuts, finely chopped
For the glaze
75g icing sugar, sifted
25g cream cheese
1-2 tsp milk
1. Combine the butter and both sugars in a bowl with a wooden spoon or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat for a few minutes until well combined, then add the egg and mix again.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Once combined, add to the wet mixture and mix until a thick dough forms.
3. Grate the carrots into a sieve, then squeeze firmly over the sink to remove some moisture. Add the squeezed carrots to the cookie dough with the walnut pieces, then stir until evenly distributed throughout the mixture. Chill the dough, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4 and line 2 large cookie sheets or baking trays with baking parchment. Use a dessert spoon to scoop balls of dough and roll between your hands to shape. Arrange on the baking tray, allowing room to spread out.
5. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes for soft cookies, or a little longer for crunchy ones. Allow to cool briefly on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely (the bottoms will become soggy if you leave them on the baking tray).
6. Mix all the glaze ingredients together, adding only enough milk to form a runny, smooth consistency. Drizzle freehand or spoon into a piping bag to decorate. Keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Martha’s tip Raisins and other dried fruits make a lovely addition to these cookies, if you like them fruity.
Typical values per serving:
vegetarian (making 12)
This recipe was first published in Thu Oct 15 10:26:19 BST 2020.