This recipe, from Skye Gyngell of Surrey's Petersham Nursery, uses the principles of vegetable soup to create a stunning dish. This appears in Soup Kitchen (Collins; £17.99).
Cauliflower Soup with Dolcelatte and a Pear Relish
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 large cauliflower (about 1.2kg)
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, plus extra to garnish
- Salt and white pepper
- 900ml chicken stock
- 200g Dolcelatte cheese, cubed
- 120ml double cream
- 15g unsalted butter
- Pear Relish
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 ripe pears peeled and chopped into 1cm dice
- 1 firm eating apple, peeled and chopped into 1cm dice
- 75ml cider
- 75ml cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 sprigs lemon thyme
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into florets. Melt the butter over a gentle heat in a large pan. Add the shallots and sweat for 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring now and then, for 2 minutes. Season. Add the stock, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes till the cauliflower is soft. Fish out the thyme.
- Meanwhile, make the relish. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the pear and apple and cook for 2-3 minutes till they soften. Add the other ingredients and cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 25-30 minutes or until thick. Remove the thyme. Season.
- Add the cheese to the cauliflower, add the cream then liquidise. Return to the pan and check seasoning. Ladle into bowls, put 1 tsp relish on each, and serve, garnished with thyme.