Chargrilled aubergines with pomegranate & feta
4 large aubergines
2 tbsp tahini
1 clove garlic
Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
1 tbsp ras el hanout
4 tbsp olive oil
200g pack Waitrose Barrel Aged Feta Cheese, drained
2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
100g Greek yogurt
1 small pomegranate,seeds removed
25g sesame seeds, toasted
25g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves only
1 tsp Cooks' Ingredients Sumac
1. Preheat the barbecue, griddle or grill to high then cook 2 of the aubergines for 10 minutes, turning frequently, until blackened and charred. Remove from the heat and set aside in a colander to cool.
2. Once cool enough to handle, cut in half and scoop the smoky flesh away from the blackened skin. For a deeper smoky taste add the blackened skin of one of the aubergines. Place the flesh (and skin, if using) in a small food processor with the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and some seasoning, blitz to a smooth purée and set aside.
3. Slice the remaining aubergines into ½cm-thick rounds. Mix the ras el hanout with the olive oil and use to brush each slice before placing on the barbecue, griddle or grill for 2 minutes on each side until bar-marked and tender.
4. Place half of the feta, the lemon zest, milk, cayenne and yogurt into a small food processor and blitz until smooth. Alternatively, mash together with a fork. Spoon the aubergine purée onto a serving dish, arrange the spiced aubergine slices on top, drizzle with the feta dressing, then scatter with the pomegranate seeds and sesame seeds. Crumble over the remaining feta and scatter with
the parsley leaves. Sprinkle with sumac and serve with plenty of barbecued flat breads alongside.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Tue Jul 14 10:38:49 BST 2015.