Brandy-soaked cherries and marzipan make this moist cake a real festive treat.
Cherry and Almond Slice
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus soaking (2–3 hours)
- Cooking time: 75 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 mins, plus soaking (2–3 hours)
Makes: 10 slices
- 5 tbsp brandy
- 80g pack Forest Feast Sour Cherries, pricked
- 400g Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients White Marzipan
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 medium eggs
- 175g Waitrose Self-raising Flour
- 1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Baking Powder
- Cooks’ Ingredients Vanilla Sugar, for dusting
- Place the brandy with the cherries in a small bowl. Soak for 2-3 hours until most of the brandy has been absorbed. Grease and line the base and sides of a 900g loaf tin. Grease the paper. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3.
- Cut half the marzipan into small dice and coarsely grate the remainder. Beat the butter in a large bowl using a hand-held electric whisk until very soft. Beat in the grated marzipan then the eggs, flour and baking powder.
- Stir in half the diced marzipan and half the cherries with any unabsorbed brandy. Turn into the tin and scatter with the remaining marzipan and cherries. Bake for 1–1¼ hours or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If it darkens towards the end of cooking, cover loosely with kitchen foil.
- Transfer to a wire rack, leave to cool and when ready, dust generously with the vanilla sugar.