This classic dish uses free-range chicken, and mushrooms from Leckford, the Waitrose Farm and free-range Columbian Blacktail eggs.
Chicken and Mushroom Carbonara
- 2 Waitrose Columbian Blacktail Free Range Eggs, yolks only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Waitrose Free Range Chicken Breast Fillets, skinned and cut into 2cm cubes
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1cm cubes
- 250g Waitrose Leckford White Cup Mushrooms, cut into 1cm cubes
- 400g dried spaghetti or linguine
- 100ml Waitrose Cox’s Apple Vintage 2006 Cider (or dry white wine)
- 200ml Waitrose Double Cream
- ½ x 20g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Pan fry the chicken until just coloured, then remove and set aside. Add the bacon and mushrooms to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes or until just starting to colour.
- Cook and drain the spaghetti or linguine according to the instructions on the pack.
- Meanwhile, reduce the heat of the mushroom mixture to low, then add the cider (or wine) and cream. Bring to a gentle simmer, then return the chicken to the pan and simmer gently for a further 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and there is no pink meat.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 1-2 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, mixing quickly to avoid the eggs scrambling.
- Add the hot pasta to the pan and toss thoroughly in the sauce. Season well and sprinkle liberally with chopped parsley before serving with a dressed green salad.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 36 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue May 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.