This simple dish offers a chorus of freshness, flavour and texture as spiced chicken, crunchy nuts, and sweet, tangy cherries sing out from the plate
Chicken with Watercress and Bulgar Wheat
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes to 30 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes to 45 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 75g dried cherries
- 50g watercress, chopped
- 25g marcona almonds, toasted
- 25g pistachios, shelled
- ½ unwaxed lemon, juice and grated zest
- Put the chicken breasts in a mixing bowl and toss with the garlic, spices and 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil until coated. Set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, put the bulgar wheat in a saucepan with 750ml boiling water and simmer for 12–15 minutes until tender. Drain and tip into a mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients along with the remaining oil, then season.
- Place a frying pan over a high heat and add the chicken, then turn the heat to medium. Cook for 6–7 minutes each side until the juices run clear. Rest for a couple of minutes, then slice and arrange on top of the bulgar wheat.