Ripe, seasonal English tomatoes are roasted with red peppers for sweetness and intense flavour in this easy and refreshing chilled summer soup.
Chilled Tomato Soup with Red Peppers and Cream
- 2 packs (approx 600g) Waitrose English Red Choice Tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, quartered and deseeded
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 325ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp single cream
- ½ x 15g pack fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the tomatoes, still on the vine, in a large roasting tray, together with the peppers and onion. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat lightly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. When cold, carefully remove the stalks from the tomatoes and discard.
- Place the cooled roasted vegetables in a food processor or blender and whizz until smooth (do this in batches if necessary). Pour the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl, pressing through any remaining lumps. Stir in the stock and cream. Season to taste and chill in the fridge until required. Serve cold in glasses or small cups, adding some ice cubes if you like. Garnish with a few snipped chives (optional).
Make this soup in advance and chill for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes cooling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Jun 01 01:00:00 BST 2005.