Easy to make and lots of fun for children to decorate.
Christmas gingerbread men recipe | Waitrose
125g unsalted butter
100g dark brown muscovado sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
325g plain flour, plus extra for dusting and dipping
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
Dr Oetker Writing Icing (optional)
Waitrose Cooks’ Homebaking chocolate mocha beans (optional)
Coloured string, for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Line 3 or 4 baking trays with baking parchment. Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally, until melted, then remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Stir in the melted ingredients to make a stiff dough.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a 5mm thickness. Using gingerbread men cutters, dip into some extra flour before cutting out shapes. Place onto the lined trays and, using a skewer/knife, make two holes for eyes and draw a mouth. Bake, in batches, for 9-10 minutes until light golden brown.
4. Leave to cool on a wire rack. If desired, use the icing to stick on beans, then attach string for bows. Store the biscuits in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: about 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
1.3g protein, 0.4g fibre
Average user rating Based on 210 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Nov 25 15:41:00 GMT 2013.