A beautiful marmalade coloured cake, perfect with clotted cream
Clementine, saffron and polenta Cake recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 150 g ground almonds
- 350 g caster sugar
- 8 seedless clementines
- Pinch of saffron
- 6 large eggs
- 150 g Valsugana Polenta
- Put 6 whole clementines in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 40 minutes. Drain and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 23cm cake tin. Put the boiled clementines in a food processor with the saffron and whizz to a purée. Transfer to a bowl and beat in the eggs, polenta, almonds and 250g of the sugar. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a serving plate.
- Using a potato peeler, pare the rind from the remaining clementines and cut into thin strips. Place in a small pan along with the squeezed juice. Add the remaining 100g of sugar and 100ml cold water. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat, then boil for 3 minutes
- Make a few holes in the top of the cake with a cocktail stick and pour over half the syrup. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before turning out. Slice and serve with a spoonful of crème fraîche and drizzle with the rest of the syrup.