This soup is wheat-, gluten-, egg- and nut-free but can also be dairy- and soya-free depending on which milk you want to use: if you can't tolerate any kind of animal milk, there are now some great non-dairy milks to choose from. Pine nuts are in fact seeds so should be safe for anyone with a nut allergy.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 550g mushrooms of your choice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 500ml goat's or buffalo milk, or unsweetened soya, oat or rice milk
- 1 litre gluten- and wheat-free stock such as Waitrose Cooks' Ingredients chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 6 tsp goat's cream (optional)
- Reserve 50g of the mushrooms and roughly chop the rest.
- Gently heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a heavy, deep pan. Add the leeks and chopped mushrooms. Cover the pan and sweat the vegetables gently for 15 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add the cornflour, stir for a couple of minutes, then add whichever milk you are using, and the stock. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Purée the mixture in a food processor then return to the pan. Season with the lemon juice, and salt and pepper if needed.
- Slice the remaining mushrooms finely. Gently heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and add the pine nuts and the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms are just softened and the pine nuts coloured. Add to the soup just before serving. If you are using goat's cream, swirl 1 tsp of it into each bowl of soup just before you serve it.