Elisa is the food blogger behind Happy Skin Kitchen.
Elisa Rossi’s beetroot chocolate cake with avocado frosting
175g Waitrose Duchy Organic Jumbo Rolled Oats
100g Waitrose Duchy Organic Cooked Beetroot (about 2)
4 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Organic Coconut Oil, melted, plus extra for greasing
60g organic cocoa powder
125g unrefined demerara sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
175ml organic almond milk
1 tsp Aspall Organic Cyder Vinegar
FOR THE AVOCADO FROSTING
1 very ripe avocado
30g organic cocoa powder
75ml Waitrose Duchy Organic Canadian Maple Syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ x 300g pack Waitrose Duchy Organic Berry Mix, to decorate
1. Blend the rolled oats in a food processor until the dry mixture resembles flour. Set aside. Place the cooked beetroot and 1 tbsp water in a small food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, and grease and line the base of an 18cm springform cake tin with a little coconut oil. Mix together the oat flour, cocoa powder, demerara sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, almond milk, vinegar and beetroot purée. Carefully pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold it all together thoroughly.
3. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface with a spatula. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Turn out.
4. To make the avocado frosting, peel the avocado and remove the stone. Put the flesh into a food processor with the cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blitz until you have a smooth and creamy mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl in-between if necessary. Spread the frosting onto the top and sides of the cake. Top with the berries, before slicing to serve.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes + cooling
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes + cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings