Try adding a handful of grated Cheddar into the mash and use a fork to ‘fluff up’ the mash for a really crispy topping.
essential Cottage pie
2 x 454g packs essential Waitrose British Beef lean mince (typically 10% fat)
1 essential Waitrose Onion, chopped
4 essential Waitrose Carrots, diced
2 tbsp essential Waitrose Tomato Purée
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
400ml beef stock (from a stock cube)
1.2kg essential Waitrose potatoes, diced
150ml essential Waitrose milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Fry the carrots and onions in a large pan until they’re soft and starting to go golden. Transfer to a plate and fry the mince in batches for about 5 minutes until browned. Return the mince, carrots and onions to the pan and add the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash with the milk and a little butter, if required. Season to taste.
3. Transfer the mince to an ovenproof serving dish and top with the mashed potato. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
This freezes well. Make two smaller cottage pies but don’t bake – instead allow to cool completely, cover and wrap well in clingfilm or place inside resealable boxes or bags; label, remembering to date it, too. Freeze for up to one month. To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge; place in a preheated oven at 200ºC, gas mark 6, for 20–25 minutes until piping hot.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 - 25 minutes
- Total time: 45 - 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
1 of your 5 a day per serving
Average user rating Based on 70 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Oct 03 15:53:00 BST 2011.