Try this easy variation on a fruit salad, using pineapple and mango with a mint and ginger dressing. Delicious served with the accompanying tuille biscuits.
Exotic fruit with hazelnut and chocolate tuille
1 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg white
75g caster sugar
25g plain flour, sifted
25g butter, melted
Grated zest and juice 1 lime
25g toasted chopped hazelnuts
25g dark chocolate
1 small ripe pineapple
1 small mango
1/2 x 25g pack fresh mint, leaves only, chopped
1cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Whisk the egg white until holding soft peaks then beat in 50g of the sugar, a teaspoonful at a time. Fold in the sifted flour, melted butter and lime zest. Drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the lined baking tray, leaving plenty of room for them to spread. Make just 4 at a time so you can roll them while still warm before they set. Spread the batter with a palette knife into 8cm rounds, sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and bake for 3-4 minutes until pale golden. While the first batch is cooking, prepare a second tray, and repeat twice more to make 16 tuilles.
- Remove each cooked tuille from the tray with a palette knife and wrap around the handle of a wooden spoon to make a cylinder. Work quickly as they will set firm as they cool. Leave to cool on wire racks while you cook the rest. Gently melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and dip each end of the tuilles into it. Leave to set. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Peel, trim and stone the fruit then cut into very thin long slices. Arrange on serving plates. Whizz the remaining sugar, mint, ginger and lime juice together in a blender and spoon over the fruit. Chill for at least 30 minutes or for up to 3 hours, then serve with the tuilles.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes, plus cooling
Serves: 2 (makes 16 tuilles)
Typical values per serving:
Per serving including 4 tuilles each
Average user rating Based on 13 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 08 13:30:00 GMT 2015.