Tanya Balyanitsa from honeytanie.com shares her favourite recipe for a Christmas party.
Festive pie with red onions and cranberries
110g cold butter
2-3 tbsp ice water
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp icing sugar
pinch of salt
5 big red onions
3-4 sliced of bacon
2 tbsp soured cream
1 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp dried cranberries
salt and pepper
1. Cut the cold butter into small cubes. Sift flour onto working surface, then rub it in the butter with the knife until the mixture becomes crumbly. Add salt, egg yolk and ice water. Knead the soft dough very quickly. The ingredients (butter and water) must be very cold. That’s why you should place them into the fridge for 1 hour before cooking. Also you must knead the dough very quickly, because if the butter begins to melt, the dough won’t have the desired consistency. Those are important rules, if you want to make really good crusty pie pastry.
2. Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out. It’s really convenient to roll out your dough this way. If the paper slides on the table, sprinkle a some flour under it. Cut a circle from the dough and gently place it to the floured baking pan. This dough is fat enough, so you shouldn’t grease the pan, just sprinkle with flour. Prick it with the fork. Cover with the towel and leave the dough in the fridge. You can also leave this dough overnight, it will save your time in the morning.
3. Meanwhile prepare the filing. Cut the onions very thinly. Preheat the pan, cut the bacon into small pieces and fry on the pan for a few minutes. Add cut onions and cook on medium heat stirring constantly for about 10-15 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add cranberries, salt, pepper.
4. Take the pan with the dough from the fridge. Place the onions filling over it. Mix eggs with soured cream and milk into a medium bowl and pour over the onions.
5. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C and bake the pie for 35-40 minutes until the crust is lightly golden.
Served warm or cold are both perfect!
While all Waitrose recipes are tested extensively, we do not test any of the community recipes, so cannot verify the results or answer queries concerning them.
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings