Bramley apples are the best cooking variety to make into these sweet little tarts.
Filo Apple Tarts with Cinnamon and Raisins
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
- 700g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm pieces
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp Schwartz Sri Lankan Ground Cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 50g sultanas
- 200g fresh filo pastry
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the apples, sugar, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon and sultanas in a large pan and cook gently for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples have softened but still hold their shape. Allow to cool.
- Unroll the pastry and cut into 32 x 14cm squares, reserving the trimmings. Cover the pastry with a damp cloth, to prevent it drying out. Take one of the squares and brush with butter, place another square over the top at an angle to make a star shape. Repeat with 2 more squares of pastry, brushing each with butter. Gently press into a muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining pastry until you have 8 pastry cases.
- Fill each case with the apple mixture, then brush the trimmings with butter, scrunch them up and place on top of the tarts. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve each tart dusted with icing sugar mixed with a little cinnamon, with a scoop of Waitrose Vanilla Ice Cream.