Vegan frosted lemon cake
75ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
175g caster sugar
250ml Alpro Soya Original
Juice and grated zest 1 lemon
50g Pure Dairy Free Sunflower spread
50g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Grease a 12.5cm x 23cm (900g) loaf tin with a little oil and line the base with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
3. Whisk the oil, Alpro Soya, lemon juice and half the lemon zest together, then fold the mixture into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the paper and leave to cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, beat the spread and icing sugar together
until smooth. Reserve a pinch of lemon zest, then fold the remainder into the frosting and spread over the top of the cake. Finish with a sprinkling of lemon zest on top and serve.
If you like you can substitute the lemon with orange or lime to vary the flavour of the cake.
For more vegan baking recipes, visit our baking hub >
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
per serving for 10
Average user rating Based on 15 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Sep 15 12:49:00 BST 2015.