- 300g dried kidney beans
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil or pork lard
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 225g long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the beans overnight, drain, refresh under cold water and put in a large pan. Cover with plenty of water, add half the coriander and half the onion. Boil for 10 minutes, reduce the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until the beans are just tender.
- Heat the oil or lard in a large pan and fry the rest of the onion and the garlic until transparent. Add the rice and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the beans, with their cooking liquid, and the cumin and paprika. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice has soaked up all the water from the beans. Season well, stir in the remaining coriander and serve. Delicious with grilled tomatoes, bacon or sausages and spicy sauce.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Cooking time: 75 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus overnight soaking
Serves: 6 - 8
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 01 00:00:00 GMT 2001.