These giant, squidgy sweets, rippled with melted dark chocolate, make an impressively grown-up treat. Eat solo or floated in a mug of our ultimate hot chocolate recipe.
Giant chocolate marshmallows
- Preparation time: 40 minutes, plus setting
- Cooking time: 10
- Total time: 50 minutes, plus setting
250g golden caster sugar
1 tbsp liquid glucose
50g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
5 gelatine leaves (we used Costa)
3 egg whites
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Line a 900g loaf tin with parchment paper. Put the sugar, glucose and 150ml warm water in a pan. Dissolve the sugar over a low heat; brush the sides of the pan with water to stop it crystallising. Leave the syrup to simmer until it reaches 125˚C (hard ball stage) on a sugar thermometer; don’t stir. If you don’t have a thermometer, spoon a little syrup into a glass of cold water; if it sets immediately, then it’s at the correct temperature.
2. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water; set aside to cool briefly. Separate the gelatine leaves and leave to soak in cold water for 5 minutes.
3. Just before the sugar syrup comes to temperature, use electric beaters or a freestanding mixer to whisk the egg whites and salt to stiff peaks in a large bowl. Put a tea towel under the bowl to secure it, then quickly and carefully pour the hot syrup down the inside of the bowl, whisking continuously. One at a time, squeeze the excess water from the gelatine leaves, then beat into the hot meringue. Keep beating until completely cool; about 10 minutes. Beat in the vanilla until combined, then gently stir through the melted chocolate with a spatula until just rippled. Pour into the loaf tin and leave to set for at least 3 hours.
4. Sift the icing sugar, cornflour and cocoa powder onto a clean baking tray. Tip in the marshmallow; remove the parchment and coat with the sugar mixture. Cut the marshmallow into 12 large, even pieces and dust again. They will keep for up to 3 days, stored in an airtight container.