2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp Waitrose Warming Stem Ginger Preserve
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1.8kg Waitrose Golden Corn Fed Free Range Chicken
750g Waitrose Charlotte Potatoes
3 tbsp goose fat
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
Ginger glazed roast chicken with hasselback potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Mix together the oil, ginger preserve, cumin, garlic and vinegar with some seasoning. Pour over the chicken and leave to marinate for 15 minutes (or ideally for an hour if you have time).
2. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Place in a small roasting tin, pour over 150ml water and roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C, gas mark 5, for a further hour and a half, basting regularly with the remaining marinade. Cover loosely with foil if it starts to go too dark.
3. Scrub the potatoes then cut thin slits two thirds of the way down each one so that the base of the potato stays whole (so they resemble little fat toast racks). Toss the potatoes with the goose fat, thyme and seasoning, making sure the fat goes into the slits. Place in a small roasting tin and cook next to the chicken for 45–50 minutes until golden brown and crisp turning occasionally.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Check that the chicken is cooked through (with no pink meat) then carve the chicken and serve with the potatoes and the juices from the chicken spooned over.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes + marinating
- Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 4 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri May 18 14:06:00 BST 2012.