Save to your scrapbook
Greek spinach and feta pie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 of your 5 a day
Source of iron
900g essential Waitrose spinach
250g pack essential Waitrose ricotta
2 medium eggs, beaten
20g pack Cooks' Ingredients dill leaves, chopped
Bunch salad onions, finely chopped
100g essential Waitrose Greek light salad cheese, crumbled
1⁄2 x 270g pack Jus-Rol filo sheets (3 sheets)
1 tbsp olive oil
145g bag Waitrose continental salad, to serve
40g Greek kalamata olives, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Wash the spinach well, then place in a large saucepan. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted (do this in batches if your pan isn’t big enough to fit all the spinach in one go).
2. Cool the cooked spinach under running water, then drain thoroughly. Squeeze to get rid of any excess liquid, then chop roughly.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta and eggs, then stir in the spinach, dill and salad onions.
4. Spoon half the mixture into an ovenproof pie dish, measuring 20cm x 30cm, then scatter over the cheese in an even layer. Top with the remaining spinach mixture.
5. Lay a sheet of pastry on the work surface and brush lightly with oil. Top with a second and third layer of pastry, brushing the top of each with oil. Place the pastry over the spinach mixture. Trim any excess and tuck in the edges. Using a sharp knife, score lightly in a crisscross pattern.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Slice and serve with the salad scattered with olives.
Typical values per serving:
3.9mg iron per serving
This recipe was first published in April 2015.