'Kimchi is a traditional Korean sweet and sour cabbage dish. Okonomiyaki are delicious little savoury Japanese pancakes. Both are simple to prepare and provide a set of lively, vibrant Asian flavours that suit salmon really well' - Heston Blumenthal
Heston's smoked salmon & kimchi okonomiyaki recipe | Waitrose
FOR THE KIMCHI
2 pointed spring cabbages
110g sea salt
20g garlic, peeled and finely chopped
10g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
30g fish sauce
40g clear honey
40g chilli powder
50g salad onions, finely sliced
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
FOR THE OKONOMIYAKI
100g plain flour
1 medium egg
15g peeled and grated potato
50g Cooks’ Ingredients Dashi
1 salad onion, finely sliced
120g kimchi, chopped
60g cabbage, finely grated
10g sushi ginger, finely chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
50g HP Sauce
20g apple juice
20g Waitrose Hoisin Sauce
15g Waitrose Plum Sauce
1 preserved lemon, finely chopped
100g pack Heston from Waitrose Smoked Salmon (Gin & Juniper or Lapsang Souchong Tea Smoked)
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
2-3 tbsp rice vinegar
1. For the kimchi, wash the pointed spring cabbages and cut into quarters lengthwise. Sprinkle sea salt between the cabbage layers. Cover and leave at room temperature for 6 hours, turning the leaves 2 to 3 times. When ready, you should be able to bend the white part of the leaves without snapping them. Then rinse the leaves with fresh water, squeezing out any excess.
2. Place the garlic and ginger in a mortar and purée until fine. Add the fish sauce, honey, chilli powder, salad onion and red chilli.
3. Spread the mix between the cabbage leaves and fold in half. Place in an airtight container and stand at room temperature for 2 days.
4. To make the okonomiyaki, place all the ingredients in a bowl and combine.
5. Heat a large sautée pan with a little oil over medium-high heat. Using a tbsp, place a little of the mixture in the hot pan. Stand for a minute or so before turning. Continue to fry for a couple of minutes until cooked through. Cook in batches and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
6. For the sauce, mix all the ingredients together and reserve. In a separate bowl mix the soy sauce and rice vinegar and place in a small serving bowl.
7. To serve, place a little mayonnaise on top of the okonomiyaki. Sprinkle some of the chopped lemon on top. Drizzle with the sauce. Fold the slices of smoked salmon and place on top. Add some finely chopped kimchi. Finish with a small sprig of dill and a couple of drops of the soy and vinegar mixture.