This velvety pudding separates in the oven into a delicate sponge with a tangy custard sauce.
Hot Citrus Pudding with a Lemon and Lime Sauce
- 75g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, separated
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 75g self-raising flour
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 and butter a 1.75-litre, 5cm deep, ovenproof dish. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks a little at a time.
- Add the lemon and lime zest, and then gently fold in the flour, citrus juices (you should have about 150ml) and the milk. Don't worry if the mixture looks slightly curdled.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold lightly into the citrus mixture. Pour into the prepared dish and bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden, risen and just firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Replace the lemons and limes with oranges for a different flavour - use the zest of 2 oranges and 150ml of their juice.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes to 45 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes to 1 hour
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 24 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Jan 01 00:00:00 GMT 2006.