This easy jerk marinade is ready in minutes - just blitz everything together.
2 red chillies
2 green chillies, deseeded
4 essential Waitrose salad onions, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
2cm fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp essential Waitrose red wine vinegar
1 tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp thyme leaves
6 basil leaves
1 tbsp essential Waitrose vegetable oil
8 essential Waitrose British chicken drumsticks
1. Put the chillies, salad onions, garlic, ginger, sugar, vinegar, spices and herbs in a blender or the small bowl of a food processor and blitz. Season well, then, with the motor running, pour in the oil until you have a thick paste, adding a little water to loosen if necessary.
2. Put the chicken drumsticks into a roasting tray and rub them all over with the paste. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes (or overnight if you have time).
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Roast the chicken for 30-35 minutes until cooked through, with no signs of pink and juices that run clear. Remove from the oven and place directly on a hot barbecue or, alternatively, under a hot grill. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until well charred. Serve immediately.
Try more marinades
- Mix 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tbsp chopped oregano, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, ¼ tsp paprika and 2 tbsp olive oil for a Greekstyle marinade.
- Try a sweet and sticky Japanese marinade using 4 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp lime juice, 2 tsp grated fresh root ginger and 3 tbsp soft light brown sugar.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 42 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Aug 01 10:22:00 BST 2011.