Save to your scrapbook
Kale and chilli pesto penne
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
270g cherry vine tomatoes, removed from the vine
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
300g essential wholewheat penne
250g kale, stalks removed
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
4 tbsp roasted, unsalted cashews
2 tbsp finely grated Violife Prosociano Wedge, plus extra, to serve
Juice and zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚C, gas mark 7. Place the tomatoes in a small ovenrpoof dish and drizzle over 1 tsp of oil. Roast for 12–15 minutes until softened but still holding their shape.
2. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water according to packet instructions.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pan of boiling water, cook the kale for 3-5 minutes until very tender. Cool under running water and drain well.
4. Place the garlic, chilli and cashews in a food processor and whizz until finely chopped. Add the kale, the Prosociano and grated lemon zest and whizz to make a thick paste.
5. To bring the pesto together, add the olive oil and a mug full of pasta water before whizzing again. Drain the pasta and return to the pan before mixing in the pesto. Toss well until all the pasta is coated and stir in the roasted tomatoes, adding lemon juice to taste. Divide between serving bowls and top with a little extra Prosciano and a generous grinding of black pepper.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in December 2018.