Korean home cooking is set to be the next big trend. This is our version of daeji bulgogi, a sweet and spicy pork dish usually cooked over a charcoal grill. Serve on rice, or roll up in lettuce with crunchy pickled vegetables.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes, plus marinating
2 pork shoulder steaks (about 150g each), cut into thin strips
1 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
1 red pepper, sliced
5 salad onions, finely shredded
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp chilli bean sauce
2 tbsp shaoxing rice wine
3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
1 tsp mild chilli powder
¼ tsp crushed black pepper
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and add the pork. Cover, chill and marinate for at least
an hour, or overnight if you have time.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat until smoking hot. Drain the pork from the marinade and fry for 4-5 minutes. You want it to be caramelised in places, so it may be best to do this in batches; don’t move it around too much.
3. Remove the pork from the pan, tip in the pepper and cook for 2 minutes, then add the onions; cook for 1 minute. Mix the pork with the vegetables and serve, with sticky rice, shredded salad onions and a scattering of toasted sesame seeds, if liked.