A knob of butter
1 large shallot, finely chopped
4 chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
2 handfuls fresh spinach
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp crème fraîche, plus extra for the sauce
Small handful finely chopped parsley
500g salmon fillet (from the thickest part of the fish) trimmed, skinned and boned
500g block puff pastry
Lightly beaten egg, for glazing
Dry white wine, to taste
The Fabulous Baker Brothers' Salmon en croûte
A knob of butter
1. First make the filling. Melt the butter over a medium heat and fry the shallot and mushrooms until soft.
2. Add the spinach and wilt. Stir in the lemon juice, the crème fraîche, parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Once it has softened and mixed together, drain the lot in a sieve over a pan to catch the juices. With a wooden spoon, squeeze the juice out and save it for a sauce. Allow the filling to cool a bit.
4. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Take the salmon fillet and butterfly it open cutting across the width of the fillet so it opens up flat. Then add the filling and fold the fillet back as it was (except now with the filling running through it). Season both sides of the fillet.
5. Roll out the pastry to 5mm thick, cut a piece that'll fit your fillet with a 2.5-3cm border and place it onto a heavy baking tray lined with baking parchment.
6. Place the filled fillet on top and with a wet finger, moisten the edge. Then roll out a slightly larger piece for the top. This should cover the whole lot. Seal it to the bottom bit of puff and try to minimise air bubbles/gaps. Trim the edges so that you have a rim around the fillet and crimp the edge with a fork.
7. Score a fish onto the surface or use any extra pastry to decroate the top, brush the whole lot with beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Wam the reserved spinach and lemon juice in a pan. Add crème fraîche, a little white wine and seasoning to taste. Serve with the salmon.
If you have one, use a baking stone to get a well baked bottom.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
Average user rating Based on 131 ratings