For this delicious dessert, seasonal mangoes from warmer climes are teamed with zesty lime and a hint of rum to give these traditional pancakes a tropical flavour.
Mango mojito pancakes
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
2 Waitrose 1 Perfectly Ripe Mangoes, peeled, stoned and sliced
3 tbsp golden rum or apple juice
2 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp shredded fresh mint
120g natural coconut yogurt, to serve
For the pancakes
100g plain flour
1 medium British Blacktail Free Range Egg
A little sunflower oil, for greasing
1. Place the mango in a heatproof bowl. Gently heat the rum (or apple juice) and sugar in a pan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the mango and set aside to cool. Add most of the lime zest, juice and mint to the cooled mango, then chill until ready to serve.
2. Place the flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in the egg and a little of the milk. Whisk together, gradually incorporating the remaining milk to make a smooth batter.
3. Lightly grease a 20cm heavy-based non-stick frying pan. Add enough batter to thinly coat the pan’s base and cook over a medium heat for about 1 minute, or until golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side until golden brown.
4. Place on a warm plate and cover with greaseproof paper. Repeat to make 8 pancakes. Keep them warm by placing in the oven at 120°C, gas mark ½. Place 2 pancakes on each plate and top with the mango and the yogurt sprinkled with the remaining lime zest.