Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's chocolate salted caramel tarts
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 4 tarts
200g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
35g icing sugar
125g cold butter, diced
1 medium egg yolk
250g jar Waitrose 1 Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce
150g dark chocolate, finely chopped
75ml double cream
Pinch sea salt
You will also need 4 x 9cm, 3cm deep mini tartlet tins
1. Place the flour, cocoa powder and icing sugar into a large bowl and mix all the ingredients together until they are well combined.
2. Add the butter into the bowl of dry ingredients and rub the cubes into the flour until you get a mixture that looks like fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add the egg yolk and 1-2 tablespoons of cold water, and stir into the flour with a round-ended knife. When the mixture starts to clump together, turn the contents of the bowl onto a large piece of cling film and knead briefly until all the pastry has come together into a ball. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Roll the pastry out to a 5mm thickness and line the tartlet tins with the pastry. Chill for 15 minutes, then line the pastry with scrunched pieces of baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the tarts from the oven and take out the filling and parchment paper, then bake for a further 10-15 minutes so the base of the pastry is crisp. Allow to cool completely before filling.
5. Pour the salted caramel dipping sauce into the cooled tart cases and allow to set.
6. Place the chocolate into a small bowl and heat the cream in a small saucepan until steaming. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until smooth, then pour over the caramel and top each tart with a pinch of sea salt. Chill until ready to eat.
This recipe was first published in Thu Oct 12 12:10:00 BST 2017.