Martha's mini berry Pavlovas
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1h 20 minutes
- Total time: 1h 35 minutes
4 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Egg whites
240g caster sugar
250ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tbsp icing sugar
150g strawberries, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C, gas mark ¼ and line a large baking tray with baking
2. Place the egg whites into the bowl of a freestanding electric mixer with the whisk attachment (you can also use an electric handwhisk) and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form – about 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the caster sugar 1 tbsp at a time with the mixer on medium until all the sugar is in. Continue to whisk on high for another 2-3 minutes. It should look thick and glossy, holding a firm peak when the whisk is lifted out.
4. Use 2 tbsp to gently smooth a spoonful of meringue into a rounded oval shape and place on the baking tray. Repeat and place the second oval at an angle to the first, creating a heart shape. Use the back of the spoon to make
sure the meringue is completely joined together. Repeat for the other 5 meringues.
5. Bake in your preheated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. When the meringues are ready they should lift away from the paper easily and be hard if tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Whip the cream with the vanilla bean paste until it forms soft peaks, then spoon on to the top of the meringue hearts.
7. Take a quarter of the raspberries and place them into a bowl with the icing sugar. Mash with a fork until smooth (you could sieve the coulis, but I prefer it with a bit of texture).
8. Top the mini Pavlovas with the remaining raspberries, sliced strawberries and raspberry coulis.