Bone-shaped meringues look brilliant – especially when dipped in strawberry ‘blood’! They keep well for several days in an airtight container
75g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
25g light muscovado sugar
2 medium Waitrose Columbian Blacktail Free Range Egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C, gas mark ½. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Mix the 75g caster sugar with the muscovado sugar. Beat the egg whites in a large, clean bowl until peaking. Add the mixed sugar, a dessertspoonful at a time, whisking well between each addition until the meringue mixture is thick and glossy.
2. Spoon the meringue into a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Alternatively youcan use a flat (non-expandable) plastic food bag. Spoon the meringue into one corner of the bag and snip off enough of the corner that the meringue flows out in a 1cm wide line.
3. Pipe a 6-7cm length onto one baking sheet. Pipe an extra blob at each end to create a bone shape. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Bake for about 1 hour or until the meringues are crisp and no longer sticky to the touch.
4. Blend the strawberries with the 1 tablespoon sugar in a food processor or blender. Scrape down any pieces that cling tothe sides of the bowl. Tip into a small serving bowl. Once the meringues are cooked, carefully lift them from the paper and pile onto a serving plate. Serve with the strawberry dip.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 60 minutes approx
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes: 20 - 22
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Oct 26 09:22:00 BST 2011.