Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A one-pan wonder with tons of different flavours, but hardly any ingredients!
This is a Full Time: Get Cooking with Marcus and Tom recipe. Premier League footballer Marcus Rashford and chef Tom Kerridge have created the campaign as part of #EndChildFoodPoverty to get families across the country cooking nutritious, low-cost meals.
8 chicken drumsticks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red pepper
2 tbsp fajita seasoning
1 stock cube (chicken or vegetable)
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 large mug of basmati rice
1 large mug of water
1. Whack the oven on at 180°C.
2. Start by removing the skin from the drumsticks. Pull the skin down to the end of the bone and then, using a cloth to help you grip, pull the skin away completely.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a casserole dish (or any ovenproof dish with a lid) and, once hot, add the chicken drumsticks. Cook for 10-15 minutes in the oven until they’re nicely browned all over. Remove the drumsticks from the pan and put them on a plate to one side.
4. Peel and roughly chop the onion, then cut up the pepper too. Add this to the same dish and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and starting to brown. Add the fajita seasoning and crumble in the stock cube. Then add the tomato purée and give it a stir, cooking for another minute or two.
5. Next, pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes, followed by the mug of rice. Fill up the same mug with water and add this to the dish, and add the chicken drumsticks back in. Bring this to a simmer, so it’s gently bubbling, and pop the lid on. Place this in the hot oven and cook for 30-35 minutes.
6. Once cooked, take the dish out of the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes, allowing any remaining liquid to be absorbed. Then spoon onto plates and enjoy!
This recipe was first published in October 2021.