This healthy eating recipe is both low in fat and high in fibre and, as it uses canned lentils, it is quick to make.
Mildly Spiced Chicken with Lentils and Greek Yogurt
- 1 x 410g can Waitrose Lentils, drained
- 1 tsp curry paste
- 2.5cm piece root ginger, very finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 1 x 150g tub Total 0% Authentic Greek Strained Yogurt
- 1 x 500g pack Waitrose 4 Chicken Breast Fillets
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Pour the lentils into a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in the curry paste, ginger and tomatoes. Heat gently, stirring occasionally.
- Over a low heat, add the Greek yogurt a tablespoon at a time. Stir well after each addition until the yogurt is fully incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, when the juices run clear and there is no pink meat.
- Stir once during cooking.
- Remove the lid from the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Stir in the coriander.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of lentils with some boiled basmati rice.
Adding yogurt to a sauce a tablespoon at a time helps the sauce to absorb the yogurt and gives it a more creamy texture. Use the yogurt at room temperature, as this also helps to ensure that the yogurt is absorbed, therefore take it out of the fridge 10 minutes before use.
For a spicier version add more curry paste. Alternatively, try adding other vegetables such as chopped carrots or green pepper at the beginning of the cooking time.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sat Jan 01 00:00:00 GMT 2000.