Make a sensational starter with these delicious summery fritters, served layered with crème fraîche and smoked salmon.
Minted Pea Fritters with Smoked Salmon
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: About 20 minutes
- Total time: About 35 minutes
- 400g frozen peas, defrosted
- 20g pack fresh mint, leaves only
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp low fat natural yogurt
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Oil, for frying
- 200ml tub crème fraîche
- Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus lemon slices to garnish
- 140g pack Waitrose Heathland Scottish Smoked Salmon, cut into thin strips
- 100g bag watercress
- Place the peas in a food processor with the mint leaves and pulse to roughly chop.
- Add the eggs, yogurt, flour and baking powder then season well. Blend until all the ingredients are combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Place heaped tablespoons of the fritter mixture in the pan and press down with the back of a spoon to flatten. (To prevent the mixture from sticking, dust the spoon with a little flour.) Cook for 2-3 minutes until the undersides become golden, then turn and cook the fritters for a further 2-3 minutes. Keep warm in a low oven while you repeat with the remaining mixture, until you have 16 fritters.
- Place the crème fraîche in a bowl, stir in the lemon zest and season with black pepper.
- Place 1 fritter on a serving plate and top with a little of the crème fraîche and a few strips of smoked salmon. Place another fritter on top and finish with a little more crème fraîche and salmon. Serve garnished with watercress leaves, freshly ground black pepper and lemon wedges.