Save to your scrapbook
MOB Kitchen's halloumi crouton super salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
"Halloumi croutons – the greatest invention since sliced bread. Crunchy outside, with that beautiful soft halloumi bite on the inside. Leave the halloumi to cook until the breadcrumbs are a deep brown." - MOB Kitchen
2 (bell) peppers
3 courgettes (zucchini)
225-g (8-oz) packet of halloumi
plain (all-purpose) flour
250-g (9-oz) packet of cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C fan (200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6).
2. Cut your peppers into chunks. Add to a roasting tray with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes or until charred and soft.
3. Pesto time. First toast 50 g (scant ½ cup) pine nuts in a dry frying pan (skillet). Into a blender add 20 g (scant ¼ cup) of the toasted pine nuts, a handful of basil leaves, the juice of a lemon, 1 garlic clove and 50 g (¾ cup) Parmesan. Add 5 tablespoons of olive oil and blend until smooth.
4. Courgette time. Cut your courgettes into thin strips. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add to a hot griddle (ridged stovetop) pan and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side.
5. Halloumi time. Cut your halloumi into small cubes. Get 3 bowls out. Add flour to one, 2 eggs to another (whisk them up) and breadcrumbs to the third. Dip your halloumi in the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs.
6. Get a pan on the heat. Fill it up 2 cm (¾ inch) high with vegetable oil. Heat the oil, and then add the croutons to the pan. Cook for 3–4 minutes until golden brown.
7. Remove the croutons from the heat and place them on some kitchen paper.
8. Halve your cherry tomatoes.
9. Add all of your ingredients, along with a bag of rocket and the leftover pine nuts, to a large salad bowl. Pour over your pesto dressing, toss it all together and serve it up.
This recipe was first published in Thu Jul 11 11:57:29 BST 2019.